- Academics & Programs
- Faculty & Staff
- Tuition & Aid
- News & Events
Professional Educator License Endorsed in School Social Work
Our Professional Educator License Endorsed in School Social Work Program (formerly Type 73) is designed to help qualified individuals gain the endoresement needed for social work positions in Illinois public schools K-12. Applicants must be currently enrolled in our MSW program or have already earned a MSW from another accredited CSWE program.
All students must successfully complete:
- The Dominican University Graduate School of Social Work application process, which includes:
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (one academic and two professional)
- Content-area tests: A candidate shall pass the content-area test prior to beginning the last semester or term of his or her internship.
Please note: Students applying for the Professional Educator License can be admitted into the MSW program but will not be considered a School Social Work candidate until all required exams are submitted with passing scores.
Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) Requirement
(formerly known as the Illinois Certification Testing System)
The Illinois State Board of Education recently filed emergency rules that would allow prospective candidates to use their ACT or SAT scores in place of passing the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) which is required for admission to the graduate endoresment program in the Graduate School of Social Work. It is important to note that these are emergency rules and can be changed or cancelled at any time.
Each person in the State of Illinois who is seeking a Professional Educator License Endorsed in School Social Work Program must take and pass either the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or ACT/SAT and the School Social Work Content exam to receive licensure.
- The Test of Academic Proficiency (formerly called the Basic Skills Test)
Go to the Illinois Certification Testing System web page for complete information such as test dates, fees and registration or
- ACT/SAT in Lieu of Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
- The student must have received a composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 and a minimum 19 in combined English/Writing; or a composite (mathematics and critical reading) SAT score of 1030 and a minimum 450 in writing. The writing portion must have been taken for each test.
- The official score report for the ACT/SAT cannot be more than ten years old at the time of this application and submission to the Illinois State Board of Education.
Click here for instructions regarding submitting your ACT/SAT scores to the IBSE for consideration.
A student cannot start an internship without taking and passing the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or the ACT Plus Writing or the SAT Plus Writing.
- Work with the Director of Field Placement to explore options for placements.
- Criminal background investigation.
All schools require background checks. Schools may require their own background check. Check with your placement site for their specific requirements. Some schools will not accept Dominican's criminal background check.
- Complete the Criminal Background Investigation Authorization form.
- Return the completed authorization form and $20 to:
Amy Laleman, Administrative Assistant
School of Education
Parmer Hall, Suite 412
7900 W. Division Ave.
River Forest, Illinois 60305.