- Academics & Programs
- Faculty & Staff
- Tuition & Aid
- News & Events
Certificate in Working with Military and their Family
Certificate in Working with the Military and their Families (CWMF)
Access to quality care for our men and women in uniform is crucial. Dominican University and its Graduate School of Social Work recognizes this need and now offers a Certificate in Working with the Military and their Families (CWMF).
The program offers intense, personalized training with convenient, online course work—all taught by top faculty and military experts.
Available to all professionals with a master's degree in the social service fields, the program entails a 2-day intensive bootcamp at Fort McCoy, WI, where students are introduced to military culture, customs and issues. The program concludes with a final 3-day colloquium integrating knowledge and skills.
On completion, students will identify as professionals capable of working with the military, with critical competencies and skills:
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment to service members, veterans and families
- Advocate for social and economic equanimity, well-being and appropriate service delivery for members of the military
- Have the skills to engage, assess, intervene and evaluate individuals, groups, families, communities and organizations that work with members of the military and families.
Successful completion of the certificate program allows government agencies, organizations and all others who work with service members to know that the professional is competent to provide evidence-based clinical services to military service members, veterans and their families.
Why Work with the Military?
The need has never been greater. Of today’s 2.2 million service members and 30 million U.S. veterans:
- More than half of combat veterans report emotional problems
- Higher rates of unemployment, homelessness
- Alarming levels of suicide
- 1 in 6 have experienced a serious injury while serving
- Half know someone killed while serving
Choose between our full eight-month post-master's certificate or a boot camp-only option offering 15 CEU's.
- As a certificate for post-masters degreed individuals who are seeking expertise in working with the military and their families. Our next boot camp will be held August 2014 at Fort McCoy, WI. Don’t worry; this is not an actual physical boot camp, but an educational boot camp.
- As a way to earn 15 CEU’s by attending our 2-day, non-physical boot camp at Fort McCoy. Our next boot camp is August 2014.
- Each of the online courses can be audited by professionals interested in increasing their knowledge and skill base in working with the Military and their families.
|Working with the Military and their Families Certificate
(four on-line classes, Boot Camp (two nights and meals) and Intensives (two nights and meals))
|Military Boot Camp
(15 CEU's, two nights and meals)